How Detox Treatment Work
We Have The Tools To Make Your Detox As Safe And comfortable As It Can Be
Addiction generally has the same effect on anyone. Overtime, a person’s body accepts physiological change as a new norm and readily adapts to it. Drugs and alcohol can produce a high that a person yearns for. With continued substance abuse, the body builds up a tolerance and the addicted person has to increase their use or frequency. When the substance is removed, withdrawal symptoms can be harsh as the body goes into repair mode. There are those times, if the addiction is mild, withdrawal symptoms may be mild. More threatening addiction symptoms may include respiratory depression, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, headaches, fatigue, and extreme irritability.
Options for Detox
Detox can be a complicated process that requires very close clinical monitoring. Detox, depending on the severity of the addition, will generally fall into one of two groups: medically managed and medically assisted.
- Medically Managed – Where the safe risk of withdrawal is relatively high, medically managed detox is the preferred method. A qualified clinical team monitors the recovering addict’s progress in a medically controlled environment.
- Medically Assisted – When an addiction is less severe, detox may be carried out by facility personnel. Medications are administered to help alleviate some withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms may not pose an immediate threat to the addicted individual’s health. Resident outpatient programs can provide the individual with needed support and assistance. Treatment can be carried out in outpatient facilities and not in a hospital environment.
- Sub-Acute Detox – This works in cases where the addiction is less severe. Nutritional and psychological support are offered throughout the detox process.This is a popular and preferred method as the body is able to get rid of toxic substances on its own.
Therapies Used in Rehab
Rehab also uses therapies that help patients to face the psychological aspects of their disease. They need to come to terms with things that trigger their desire to use drugs or alcohol. Once these triggers are understood and identified, the individual learns healthy ways to cope with those triggers. Quitting drugs or alcohol may cause depression, anxieties, mood swings, and illness. These can be addressed with medications, but the real healing must begin within a person’s mind.
Changing Social Habits
Patients must begin to change their social habits. They must come to an understanding they will have to form new relationships and build new bridges with family members and friends. At Sprout Health California Detox, we provide therapy sessions that help patients to develop new social skills. We also teach them to thoughtfully plan how they can avoid triggers or relapse.
Life After Rehab
Your treatment programs will address the addiction, and behavior therapies will help you gain an understanding of how addictions happen and can be avoided going forward. Patients will also be exposed to strategies that will help them to transition back into life and take control over their lives once again. Look forward to the following strategies in your treatment program.
- You will receive ample education about your addiction along with early warning signs that you may be in danger for relapse.
- You will gain access to tools and strategies that can help you react differently to cravings for alcohol or drugs.
- Therapy sessions can include single or group. Family members and friends, with your permission, may be a part of your therapy treatments. Families can play a significant role in helping their loved one through detox and on to permanent sobriety.
The Importance of Positive Daily Structure
During rehab, individuals are exposed to structured therapy sessions, educational sessions, scheduled meals, and healthy recreational activities that fill their life. They are completely removed from the triggers that contributed to their addiction. Everything learned and experienced during rehab can be a part of their after-treatment lifestyle.
Staying active and exercising can actually increase levels of dopamine in the brain. An individual gets to the point where they look forward to exercising and how it makes them feel. They look forward to the perception of reward and pleasure without having to resort to alcohol or drugs.
Patients will have plenty of time to reflect about their life. Having a purpose in life gives them a reason to remain sober. Purpose can also establish new habits along with new relationships. Their self-esteem receives a boost, and life begins to take on a more positive outlook. They feel much better about themselves and the world around them. Treatment follow-up can include weekly or monthly appointments, or as determined by their treatment center.
If you or a loved one is suffering from an addiction, get help immediately. Detox and rehab treatment works.